We’re in the final few hours of 2011. (“Few” is being used loosely, since there are about 6.5 hours left of the year in California). I really can’t believe how fast 2011 flew by. I was reading People Magazine’s “The Best of 2011” while on the stationary bike at my parents on Christmas and they said the royal wedding was in April. I could have sworn it was two months ago. (Seriously, we’ve been obsessed with all things Middleton for like 8 months now?) This year has honestly been one of the best yet (I swear they just keep getting better and better) and I cannot WAIT for what 2012 has in store!
A lot happened this year: I ran my first full marathon in 3:57:03, traveled to Boston, New York, LA, San Diego, Santa Barbara, Big Sur, Maui and the Big Island, went to countless wine festivals, attended the weddings of several good friends, celebrated the engagements of several more, spent a lot of time with our families, had great times with friends, went to countless Giants games, ran 2-half marathons and PR-ed each time, got a lot more adventurous in the kitchen… oh and started this little blog. 🙂
In honor of the New Year, boyfriend and I always make a monthly resolution. Something attainable, and something we want to improve on. It can be as simple as “Don’t leave things until the last minute” (a specialty of mine I’m trying to get better at) or “One Mental Health Day a Month” (where we both take the day off and take a drive up the coast, go for a bike ride, a hike, or just relax and recharge at the park or beach). While that tradition is continuing on, I also wanted to make a list of my 2012 “goals” (the word resolution bothers me), so rather this is a list of what I hope to accomplish in 2012.
So here goes!
- Run a race every calendar month of 2012 – could be a 5K, 10K, 12K, or Half-Marathon… I’m not picky. Whatever it is, I want 12 race bibs by this time next year.
- Run a sub 1:50 Half Marathon. My current PR is 1:55, and I know that 5 minutes is a lot to shave off, but I’m confident that if I put in the time and speedwork I can get there. It’ll probably just take a few attempts.
- Cheer on friends at their races. I’ve never actually gone to a race just to cheer, but now that several friends are getting into half-marathons and triathlons, I want to cheer them on. I was overwhelmed with all of the cheering and course support from my family and friends when I was running the marathon and I want to return the favor.
- Explore a new (or several new) place(s) with boyfriend. We love to travel and explore and I would love to add some new destinations (domestic and international!) to our list. (ie: a hut on the beach in Bora Bora with a glass bottom floor. 😉 ) Just saying.
- Try out at least 1 new recipe a week in the kitchen
- Try out at least 1 new SF restaurant a month. There are always so many new restaurants popping up all the time, with so many great reviews that it’s time to get started in trying as many as we can.
- Volunteer at the SPCA 1x/week – If we can’t have a dog just yet, then I’m getting my dog fix once a week somehow.
- Weekend. Trips. – Camping, roadtrips, wine tasting, you name it. I want to do more of it. We did a great job of this in 2011, and it’s so nice to get out of the city and explore every now and again.
- Rescue a dog. Or more specifically, a labrador. This one is a long shot (a lot of factors have to happen to make this a reality), but why not make it a goal? 2012 is a looong year. If it happens in 365 days from now, so be it :
Hope you have a very, very happy (and safe!) New Years! 🙂 Catch ya in 2012.