Hope you’ve had a great weekend.
I’m very, very happy to say that the highest mileage week of my training (44 miles!) is officially over and I somehow managed to complete each and every run on the schedule for the week.
Even after my day o’ wine tasting, engagement celebrating, and birthday partying until 2am yesterday.
I was clearly rebelling against Hal Higdon and showing him that my social life has dominance to his plan. Then he made me pay, in a big way today.
If you missed any of the previous recaps the latest can be found here:
Monday – Cross train + Pilates Reformer class
Pretty standard Monday – I did my cross-training for the week on the Elliptical (resistance 9, incline 20) for about 45 minutes before heading to a Pilates class.
Tuesday- 5 Mile Run + Pilates Reformer class
I did this 5-miler on the treadmill at an 8:57/pace while reading on my Kindle. It’s been extremely hot out the last couple of weeks (not complaining!) but we all know how I fare in extreme heat while running. I decided not to take any chances and just deal with the treadmill before my Pilates class.
Wednesday – 8 Mile Run
Again, it was hot, and again I did this run on the treadmill. I’ve been finding that running my shorter runs on the treadmill at a faster pace than I run outside, is easier on my legs, and I don’t get bored running outside everyday. The worst thing that can happen to my training at this point in the game is to dread the routes I run, so I’m trying to avoid that (and it seems to be working!)
The course I’m running is relatively flat (with rolling hills, but once you’ve run Nike Women’s Half-Marathon, rolling hills don’t hold a candle to Clement Street) so I’ve been trying to run on relatively flat surfaces so that my legs get used to using the same muscles… for 4 + hours.
We’ve come so far together dreadmill…
Thursday – 5 Mile Run
Are you surprised to hear I did this on the treadmill at around a 9:03 pace while reading on my Kindle? 😉
Friday – 8 Mile Pace Run
Big shocker – ran it on the treadmill after work so I didn’t get 3rd degree burns from the 70 degree + weather outside.
Saturday – Rest.
And by Rest I mean wine taste all day, then celebrate our friends engagement with champagne, and then celebrate a friend’s birthday with vodka sodas. Sometimes I surprise myself with my ability to plan ahead.
Sunday- 18 Mile Run
18 MILES. That is how far I ran today. That is also the furthest I have ever run in one sitting in my entire life.
And how did I prepare for said run?
- I had mimosas with breakfast yesterday
- I wine-tasted for 5 hours at the SF Vintners Market
- I toasted the engagement of our very good friends
- I celebrated the birthday of another good friend
- I crawled into bed at 2am
- I woke up at noon
- Ate a bagel with Peanut Butter, Banana slices, honey and cinnamon
- Napped from 2-3
- Finally got my booty in motion around 3:30 and set out for 18 miles
- Was miserable for miles 1-5 – my legs felt heavy, I was sweating out Pinot Noir and Champagne, I was starving, and extremely dehydrated.
- 3 Hours, 4 water bottle refills and one pack of Watermelon Gu Chomps later I DID IT (and definitely took the “long, slow run” to heart and didn’t care.)