Hope your week started off well!
It was raining all day in SF today, but since it held off all weekend, I couldn’t really complain too much. (I will gladly put up with weekday rain if it means weekend sunshine. I’ve let the weather know this and I think we’ve struck a deal.)
The weather this past weekend looked like this:
I’m alright with a little Monday rain.
I’ve been on a little bit of a cooking/baking tear lately. I’m not really sure how this happened because typically the kitchen scares me, and I get flustered half-way through a recipe and panic.
On Friday I made Tina’s Oatmeal Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies (again – I think this has to be the 7th or 8th time. They’re a crowd favorite, I give the people what they want.)
Boyfriend loves white chocolate, so I subbed in Ghiardelli White Chocolate chips and added a little extra cinnamon, and a sprinkle of Pumpkin Pie spice and wow, they turned out amazing.
They are SO EASY and so delicious. (1 bowl and a cookie sheet and you’re set.)
Then yesterday, after we accidentally demolished 2 bananas by throwing them in a backpack and bringing them down to the water with us to watch the planes, I made Julie’s Oatmeal Banana Flax Muffins.
(Yes I too am seeing a flavor profile repeat here. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.)
These muffins are healthy, fluffy, flavorful and delicious. I had one with my smoothie this morning and the two kept me full until lunch… which I can say never, ever happens. (I live for my mid-morning snack and it went uneaten today. A milestone indeed.)
I doubled her recipe because I had a feeling they would be amazing and that I would want more than 6… I ended up with about 15.
Boyfriend and I are confident they will be gone by Wednesday. At the latest.
Last night we baked about 5 pieces of chicken in a BBQ sauce, lemon pepper, and sliced red onions. We had leftovers tonight and since it was cold and rainy I was in the mood for some warm, delicious comfort food.
Enter Three-Cheese Mac and Cheese! I love me some Mac and Cheese and I love me some homemade mac and cheese even more.
This recipe was originally in Cooking Light, and it did not disappoint. It was cheesey, gooey, and delicious. The breadcrumbs were perfect on top and the corners (where the cheese gets crispy) were my favorite part.
I changed it up a bit based on what we had – I used Whole Wheat Penne, 1/2 garlic clove, regular bread crumbs, no bay leaf, paprika on top of the mixture before putting it into the oven and put the entire thing into a glass baking dish rather than individual ramekins.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (about 8 ounces)
- Cooking spray
- 2/3 cup (about 2 1/2 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2/3 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add flour and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in milk and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add Gorgonzola, 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, and salt; stir until cheeses melt. Discard bay leaf.
- 2. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 3. Cook pasta in boiling water 5 minutes or until almost tender, omitting salt and fat; drain well. Add pasta to cheese mixture, stirring well. Place about 1/2 cup pasta mixture into each of 6 (1-cup) ramekins coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with mozzarella. Top evenly with remaining pasta mixture. Combine remaining 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano and panko; sprinkle evenly over pasta mixture. Spray lightly with cooking spray; sprinkle with black pepper. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until heated.
With that I’m off to clean up and catch up on my pile of magazines… here’s hoping the rain clears up by tomorrow but if it doesn’t… my new Hunter rain boots finally arrived!
SF Winter I will own you.
Have a great night! 🙂